Recent Forum Posts
Anthology
Naz Box

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Devils advocate
That-
Family
Nazamataz
Post Re: Devils advocate
on: February 7, 2014, 20:17

Who is Steve?

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 7, 2014, 20:59

Quote from the Doc on February 7, 2014, 19:18
( by the way, why was Manny sacked?).

I tried to find out it for years and noticed, that the problem of finding a recording company was not that serious for Manny to leave the band. He was really sacked. I recently delivered this question to my uncle, who listens Naz since their debut album. Here's what he said: Manny Charlton had plans to release an album after Snakes'n'ladders in the same style, but probably even more pop-oriented. Dan, Pete and Darryl were against it, so probably they sacked him because he wanted them to go into a pop direction. This is the reason why No Jive without Manny sounds significantly heavier than Snakes'n'ladders.

But I do not have an answer, why Billy left (or was sacked) from Nazareth...

the Doc
on: February 7, 2014, 21:53

Sorry all, Not Steve but Lee - this is what happens when you have mistyped words and automatic spell check! Grrrr

Olgaolga1
Olgaolga1
on: February 8, 2014, 13:38

Quote from sergeydio on February 7, 2014, 18:16
Here's the poster of that show with date/

Yes, exactly - in 2011! I was often at concerts Nazareth, a little had mistaken!! )))

HollisBrow-
n
Nazamataz
on: February 10, 2014, 05:48

The Sweet have 2 bands. One member in each and they exist just fine. Of course it would be brilliant to have Manny back in the mix with Pete for a couple albums and a few shows, but it would have to be Dan singing, so maybe no touring. Whatever Naz can produce for the fans I'll be very happy with.

Hollis

Dirk63
Naz Newbie
Dirk
on: February 10, 2014, 12:11

I've read your statement with interesst, Doc. It contains not my point of few, but it's ok. The 80er-period delivers a lot of Naz-pop-albums. I don't like them really comparing with the rock-Albums of the 70s and after the 80s. So if Manny were the reason for the pop-sound, then there is a good thing as he left the band: the rock is back. I remember an article of the german music-newspaper "Bravo" from the year 1980. They reported about the album "Malice in Wonderland" and they wrote about a big conflict in the band. Unfortunately they reportet not about the reason of the conflict. Maybe also because of the style of the new album. I think we should wait what the future brings. Maybe there comes a great new Naz-version with a great vocalist. We never know at the moment. And by the way: I'm a big Naz-fan since '74. ;-)

Pal
Nazamataz
Pal
on: February 10, 2014, 13:16

I belive the change of direction in style with Malice and so on was also influated by A&M, their American record company.Naz has always been heavy on stage, so any change in direction is only on the albums.

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 10, 2014, 18:40

Quote from Dirk63 on February 10, 2014, 12:11
I've read your statement with interesst, Doc. It contains not my point of few, but it's ok. The 80er-period delivers a lot of Naz-pop-albums. I don't like them really comparing with the rock-Albums of the 70s and after the 80s.

Malice in Wonderland is not pop, I'd say it's some kind of AOR or experimental rock, e.g. tunes as "Fast Cars". However, there are several hard rock tunes on the album: "Talking About Love", "Shotdown at the border", "Talking To One Of The Boys" (one of my favourites from Naz in general), "Turning A New Leaf" and "Big Boy".

And there are quite a lot of heavy stuff on 2XS, "Whippin' Boy" and "Rags And Riches" on Sound Elixir, "This Month Messiah" on Catch, "Cinema" and "Just another heartache" on Cinema.

So if Manny were the reason for the pop-sound, then there is a good thing as he left the band: the rock is back.

Manny was, not Jeff Baxter or anyone else. 'cause a producer just can not force the band play in a different style. I also think that there was a drum machine replacing Darryl and the bass sound was probably watered down.

I remember an article of the german music-newspaper "Bravo" from the year 1980. They reported about the album "Malice in Wonderland" and they wrote about a big conflict in the band. Unfortunately they reportet not about the reason of the conflict. Maybe also because of the style of the new album.

I heard about a conflict in 1990 from my uncle: Dan and Manny had a brawl and this was probably also because of the style of the album, as Manny had plans to do a pop album after Snakes and Ladders, and perhaps the band was fed up with that. My uncle also said he heard that Manny is a very physically strong person though he looks quite ordinary, maybe he meant that there was some kinda fight among them, who knows...

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 10, 2014, 18:45

Quote from Pal on February 10, 2014, 13:16
Naz has always been heavy on stage, so any change in direction is only on the albums.

Yes, I watched some 1984-1986 concerts and they sounded heavy.
However I heard an audio record from their 1990 tour and some heavy songs sounded really lighter, than they used to sound in studio or live...

By the way... never heard them perform the song called "Cinema" live, but they did it in 80s... anybody seen a video of it?

Dirk63
Naz Newbie
Dirk
on: February 11, 2014, 07:40

Not a video, but a concert in Mannheim during the Cinema-tour in 1986. Stan Webb's Chickenshack opend for Naz at this concert.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.132 seconds.