News
Future Gigs

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Discography questions
Stone_Blue
Naz Newbie
Post Re: Discography questions
on: July 28, 2014, 22:36

A pleasure
I hope you found my record / collection list interesting.
If you want to contact me direct, please do (jgeesin@hotmail.com)

Cheers
Joe

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: July 29, 2014, 17:56

I just did a back to back test of the song "Called Her Name" from "At The Beeb" and "The Naz Box".
Even though both are credited as being from the June 8 72 show, they are very different recordings.
The "At The Beeb" version has acoustic guitars for the first half, "Naz Box" is all electric guitar.
Also Dan's vocals are obviously different.

Time to check out the "Back To The Trenches" version...

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: July 30, 2014, 06:00

Maybe I'm not the right guy to be attempting this project after all.
I just found out today (thanks to a big fan in Western Canada named Richard) that there is a series of 2002 reissues on Eagle Rock!

I had no idea these existed!

Think I need a drink...

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 5, 2014, 15:28

Quote from Pal on July 27, 2014, 20:40
Robert, I can help you with info about most of their Lp releases

Thanks Pal!
Are vinyl LPs your specialty?

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 5, 2014, 17:55

Anyone who has a source on getting the German Eagle Rock reissues for a decent price, please get a hold of me at: Lawsoninca@yahoo.com

Some of them are currently at around $24 each on ebay. Want to try and get them for less since it's only for a couple of extra songs on each.

Also need the Castle "Razamanaz" CD for this project.

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 7, 2014, 21:42

Listened to Hard Living and Spinning Top numerous times last night with the lyrics in front of me.
The versions on the Castle "Nazareth" and "Exercises" CDs are not alternate mixes.
Hard Living has two lines of lyrics near the end of the song removed while Spinning Top just fades early.

Wonder if the ones on the Salvo "Razamanaz" are the actual ones from the singles....

I need to find a pic of the singles to check the running time.

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 9, 2014, 05:40

It's pretty disappointing the further I dig into this stuff, how the band's catalogue has been handled.

Jukebox-
Casualty
Naz Newbie
Jukebox Casualty
on: August 9, 2014, 18:32

I love the Salvo reissues.

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 19, 2014, 03:35

Quote from Jukebox Casualty on August 9, 2014, 18:32
I love the Salvo reissues.

There's a lot of things about the Salvo reissues I really like but I do wish they were definitive in terms of bonus tracks and liner notes.

nyssefan
Naz Newbie
nyssefan
on: August 19, 2014, 12:40

Yep, it has been a source of frustration for many hardcore fanz too this blatantly poor management of the catalogue for many years. To the point that it is now hard to make heads or tails out of what really was released when..

Trouble is that no band member (with the noted exception of Manny) really did ever take a proactive interest in how these things were managed, it was simply left into the greedy hands of record companies to do what they like, misinform or whatever.

The first CD pressings were really poor audio, and some were hurridly put together, for example the first edition of Snaz. It would be years until the Snaz album got a proper full scale CD release, but even then they did not run all tracks in the right running order or even with the same tracks as the original album. I think it was Castle / or Eagle who put out a limited Snaz album, and then used some tracks of the "surplus" Snaz material as bonus tracks on the Fool Circle album... which was just a simple ploy to get fanz to buy both versions! The Salvo guys did a decent job of releasing for the first time a good version of Snaz on CD, where at least we got to hear all the songs, including Big Boy and Let me be your leader. However, I still do not think they included the studio songs "Jucy Lucy" and the remake of Morning Dew, but I may be mistaken. And, obviously, Salvo could not either resist the temptation to change the artwork, or add "factual" information..

Today, the issue is compounded by years of neglect of the original masters. I got the opportunity to sit in with Tim Turan who is an excellent mastering engineer -one of the best in the biz- and he said that the problem with the Naz catalogue now is that many of the original master tapes have been stored in somebody's loft, and that they had "40 winters and 40 summers". He did explain that you would get better sound from some of the early CD pressings / but obviously, these were not that good either... so it is a hard job to get the sound right.

But getting the information right is another matter & should blatantly be easier to do. However, this has still not happened, even with Salvo. The problem is that whoever seems to be in charge would like chime in with their two pennies worth of additional "information" and their versions of "the facts", plus retrospective views from the band.

Instead, I think it would be better to get the CDs excactly as THE ORIGINAL ALBUM, without any extra "outtakes" or viewpoints by "experts", journalists etc. The albums with the artwork and original liner notes were the origianal statement from the band, and should be kept as they initially intended, without any alternate takes, without early fading or whatever is the "in" thing to do now. Basically, opinions are like a-holes / everybody got one, and thus record co's should learn to zip it and leave the art (music, info, artwork) up to the artist.

In my view, in lack of the alternative, the Salvo remasters are the best option for now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.129 seconds.