News
Recent Forum Posts
Future Gigs

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Discography questions
Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
Post Re: Discography questions
on: August 19, 2014, 15:03

Thanks for the detailed thoughts!
Here's my latest head scratcher: So the Maximum XS compilation has an alternate edit of the song 'Razamanaz' which runs a bit shorter than the album version (3:28 vs 3:50).

The liner notes state "probably intended for single release" but I wonder if this is another relatively recent edit job done by one of the reissue labels to pad the bonus tracks?

Any thoughts?

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 20, 2014, 19:46

Quote from Beauvoir on August 19, 2014, 15:03
Thanks for the detailed thoughts!
Here's my latest head scratcher: So the Maximum XS compilation has an alternate edit of the song 'Razamanaz' which runs a bit shorter than the album version (3:28 vs 3:50).

The liner notes state "probably intended for single release" but I wonder if this is another relatively recent edit job done by one of the reissue labels to pad the bonus tracks?

Any thoughts?

This alternate edit also appears on the Eagle Rock CD.

Stone_Blue
on: August 21, 2014, 22:51

I know that when Robert Corich was involved with a series CD reissues, he edited a lot of tracks himself to create fake bonus tracks, to bolster releases where he (and the label at the time) didn't have much genuine available.
This is obvious from some the tracks available and known singles, as well as what he told me direct. AKA Bullshit. Having interviewed the band more times than most, Razamanaz was never openly and commercially considered by the band as a single (although it did appear in promo form in the USA and as a b-side, in Yugoslavia and Phillipines).

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 22, 2014, 02:08

Quote from Stone_Blue on August 21, 2014, 22:51
I know that when Robert Corich was involved with a series CD reissues, he edited a lot of tracks himself to create fake bonus tracks, to bolster releases where he (and the label at the time) didn't have much genuine available.
This is obvious from some the tracks available and known singles, as well as what he told me direct. AKA Bullshit. Having interviewed the band more times than most, Razamanaz was never openly and commercially considered by the band as a single (although it did appear in promo form in the USA and as a b-side, in Yugoslavia and Phillipines).

Thanks Joe!
Just yesterday I was listening to the extended version of "This Flight Tonight" and wondering how it was made longer. Figured maybe they extended the fade or something.

Nope!

They just took the chorus and inserted it in after the second verse so that now it appears twice in the song.
And they did a horrible job of it as the edit is real noticeable!

Obviously this is from the 1987 HOT TRACKS compilation so it predates Corich's involvement.
But shows that even as early as '87, the band's work was not treated with the care it deserves.

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: August 27, 2014, 04:24

Quote from Beauvoir on July 29, 2014, 17:56
I just did a back to back test of the song "Called Her Name" from "At The Beeb" and "The Naz Box".
Even though both are credited as being from the June 8 72 show, they are very different recordings.
The "At The Beeb" version has acoustic guitars for the first half, "Naz Box" is all electric guitar.
Also Dan's vocals are obviously different.

Time to check out the "Back To The Trenches" version...

Ok, so this is what I have so far figured out.

Here is the track listing for BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert (and Back To The Trenches: Live 1972-1984):

~ 1. Morning Dew
~ 2. Alcatraz
~ 3. Vigilante Man
~ 4. Razamanaz
~ 5. Night Woman
~ 6. Broken Down Angel
* 7. Country Girl
~ 8 Woke Up This Morning
* 9 Called Her Name
* 10.Black Hearted Woman

* = recorded June 8 1972 Paris Theatre (BBC Radio 1 CD states June 5!).
These tracks also appear on The Naz Box.

~= recorded May 17 1973 Paris Theatre. These tracks also appear on the Salvo reissue of Rampant.

At The Beeb lists 2 songs as being from June 8 1972, Called Her Name and Fool About You but I think this date is wrong because the version of Called Her Name on there is very different that the one on BBC Radio 1.

Any thoughts?

Beauvoir
Naz Newbie
Beauvoir
on: September 4, 2014, 18:57

Here's one for the experts:

Any idea why the live Rampant tracks on the At The Beeb two CD set are just the regular album versions?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.16 seconds.