Recent Forum Posts
Anthology
Naz Box

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rating of Naz studio albums
larsbaekga-
ard
Nazamataz
Post Rating of Naz studio albums
on: February 20, 2014, 12:02

While I'm waiting for news about the band and the new album I have rated all the studio albums in terms of stars (five is best).

What do you think?

Razamanaz
Hair of the Dog
Malice in Wonderland
Cinema
Playin’ the Game
No Mean City
Loud’n’Proud
Rampant
Expect no Mercy
Close Enough for Rock’n’Roll

****(*)
Sound Elixir
2XS
Big Dogz

Fool Circle
The Catch
The Newz

***(*)
Snaks ’n’ Ladders
No Jive
Boogaloo
Move Me

Nazareth

Exercises

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
Post Re: Rating of Naz studio albums
on: February 20, 2014, 15:13

I'll not vote. I respect all their albums identically. Nazareth is a versatile band, and we shouldn't blame them for "not playing hard rock" in some songs just because we want so. Though, I would also love to hear some heavy versions of lighter songs, e.g. "We Are Animals". The re-recorded versions from T Stage didn't include it...

Pal
Nazamataz
Pal
on: February 20, 2014, 15:53

would have moved exercises up the list and cinema down, otherwise I agree mostly.
Pål

Nick
Naz Newbie
on: February 20, 2014, 16:34

Razamanaz
Big Dogz
No Jive
Hair of the Dog
Malice in Wonderland
Cinema
No Mean City

2XS
Nazareth
Close Enough for Rock’n’Roll
Fool Circle (We are the people would have been great live - Heavy)
Expect no Mercy
Rampant
Playin’ the Game

Snakes ’n’ Ladders
The Newz (The Gathering could be my all time song)
Move Me
Loud’n’Proud
Exercises

Boogaloo
Sound Elixir
The Catch

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 20, 2014, 18:26

Hi Nick, yeah, The Gathering is a really head-cracking song. One of the toughest songs I've ever heard. Sounds like slow-tempo thrash-metal.

I wouldn't give Cinema a five, though there are some great songs on it, the riff of "Cinema" could simply become a football march soundtrack, and "Veteran's Song" is one of best Naz's ballads. "Hit The Fan", "Other Side Of You", "Salty Salty" and "White Boy" sound very monotonous. The other songs - "Just Another Heartache" & "One From The Heart" are very good. The Cinema album lacks versatility in half of the tracks.

And yes, they definitely needed to save the bass sound of the first song with such heavy distortion, but not to soften it.

I would also give, I guess 3 of 5 to The Catch. What did I really like is Party Down (yeah, the sequensor sounded great) and This Month Messiah. Try listening TMM on T Stage version, they've done a great remake.

Adam
Naz Newbie
Adam
on: February 20, 2014, 20:48

Here's my ratings, it's rare for me if a week goes by without me playing a Naz album. I would say over the past few months despite buying lots of music by a whole range of artists I have played the bands music more than ever and in doing so realised I forgot just how good some of the albums are. For example had I of rated these a couple of years ago I think the debut album would have been ranked lower, played this a lot recently some really underrated material on it. Ditto Expect No Mercy & Boogaloo.

Another thing I noticed is just because I have placed certain albums higher than others it doesn't mean I play them more often, I listen to the albums I gave less than 4 stars to more often than say HOTD or Razamanaz apart from Exercises which I probably listen to no more than once every few years! It's OK and has some interesting tracks but by far their weakest release for me.

No Mean City
Play 'n' The Game
Rampant
Close Enough For Rock 'N' Roll
Loud N Proud
Expect No Mercy
Razamanaz

**** 1/2
Big Dogz
Hair Of The Dog

2XS
Boogaloo
Cinema
Nazareth
No Jive
Sound Elixir
The Newz

The Catch
Snakes 'n' Ladders
The Fool Circle
Malice In Wonderland
Move Me

** 1/2
Exercises

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 20, 2014, 22:10

Anybody got any demos of Malice In Wonderland? Recently one Naz fan told me, that the demos sounded heavier than the complete production (album version). Still there's some heavy stuff on it, like "Talking About Love", "Big Boy", and "Talking To One Of The Boys" :-)

Ron Lewis
Nazaholic
on: February 20, 2014, 23:15

Dont know about Malice, but Manny has stated that the first expect no mercy was really heavy, yes I did say first album, the record company wasnt satisfied so they went back and re-recorded some of the songs.

Pal
Nazamataz
Pal
on: February 21, 2014, 09:18

Am I the only fan who likes Exercices? I think it's a underrated album. Ok, it has some different style, but it's very well recorded, beautiful production, fine songs and a superb use of the orchestra. All in all a different album from Naz, but still one of their best.

In some way it reminds me a bit of Dan's first solo, wich I also find to be very good.

As a curiosity, Exercices is the only Naz album also released officially on reel-to-reel tape. have I got it? Of course :-)

Nazfan_UA
Nazaholic
Nazfan_UA
on: February 21, 2014, 10:47

Quote from Ron Lewis on February 20, 2014, 23:15
Dont know about Malice, but Manny has stated that the first expect no mercy was really heavy, yes I did say first album, the record company wasnt satisfied so they went back and re-recorded some of the songs.

Hi, Ron, yeah, possibly, but some songs remained nearly the same.
After all I'm really interested in Malice... production. It seems to me, that there was a drum machine on some... or all the songs. At least I never thought that tom-tom drums sound so mellow and crash cymbals are not crisp in their sound. And I think Pete wouldn't play "gently" taking into account his muscular bass approach.

P.S. Listen carefully to "Talk About Love" on 0:06-0:08 before bass hits the line. A sound of commutator unit sounds like a rooster! Or it's kinda wah-pedal for bass? Never knew how this stuff is actually called.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.423 seconds.