Recent Forum Posts
Anthology
Naz Box

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: rock n roll telephone
michaelt
Nazamataz
Post Re: rock n roll telephone
on: June 12, 2014, 14:24

I can’t recall such an extensive PR campaign for a Naz album, the resultant buzz, the excitement that has prevailed over these last couple of months. So what is the verdict for Rock n Roll Telephone?

Will first impressions on playing it be similar to the experiences of years ago for such albums as No Mean City, “incredible”, or Malice “eh?”

One of the reasons I love Naz is that you are virtually guaranteed to find a tune in every song on any album. This, though, was not quite the case with The Newz but thankfully order was mostly restored with Big Dogz.

Crank up the volume and let proceedings commence…There are some seriously good songs delivered in the traditional meaty Naz way with Boom Bang Bang the best opener since Hire and Fire. One Set of Bones keeps the tempo high with in your face guitars and finely paced bass and drums and I’m sure will develop into, after more listens, a great Naz album track. I am still trying to catch the tune as it is a bit stop start, though good guitar riff. Next up we have the community singing style of Back2B4, (hints of Stuck In The Middle With You) making this an endearing laid back slice of acoustic Naz at their best.

Winter Sunlight, a beautiful mellow song (hints of Child In The Sun singing from Dan and Pete), though to have it as track four immediately after Back2B4 I feel contributes to losing a bit of tempo on the album at this stage. That is immediately put right with the album’s title track and Jimmy’s glorious meaty and mean guitar work supported by a kick ass performance on bass. At times the lyrics are a bit clumsy yet overall a great Naz track to take you by the throat and drag you through the meanest and roughest Russian airport.

Fasten your seat belts for a turbo charged ride through Punch A Hole In the Sky. The slick but mean guitar work is augmented by no holds barred drums and bass. This track is also testament to the fact that Dan, COPD or not, can still deliver a vocal performance that would leave a twenty year old floundering. The band has floored the pedal to the metal…hold on for a wild ride.

Then the album takes a little detour…Long Long Time can be described as “nice” but I just can’t class it as a Naz song. A modern feel, it certainly stretches boundaries...yet for me just feels out of place on a Naz album. The Right Time has echoes of and would not be out of place on one of Naz’s mid-seventies albums though at the moment I feel it is a bit maudlin. Perhaps more plays and it will grow on me. With these two tracks side by side the album again loses a little tempo.

Not for long though…

Talk about contrasts…Is that Tony Iommi knocking at the door? The guitar work on Not Today could be straight out of his riff book. Very dirty and menacing…come on Jimmy, how about playing this live? The song’s delivery is very up to date and shows that Naz can still teach today’s young rock wannabees how to deliver.

Now that we are back flying, the band then delivers that classic Naz track that is on every album. Glorious tune delivered in the traditional meaty style that won’t frighten the children. Speakeasy is a sing along good time song, great bass and tight drumming. This is the perfect track for radio. A must do live track for crowd participation.

The last track, God Of The Mountain, fits comfortably at the end of the album and keeps the pace at near frantic level to leave the listener in no doubt that forty six years on, the band can still make a statement worth listening to.

Naz are at the top of their game here, building on the success of the two recent albums. Whilst I did not really like the production on The Newz , Big Dogz was a big improvement though perhaps a nod too much to the Seventies. Rock n Roll Telephone hits the right spot production wise where the band appreciate it is 2014 but always acknowledge their roots.

This album has all the hallmarks to become even better after a few more plays and sit comfortably beside some of their best albums. It wasn’t quite the No Mean City reaction…yet in their forty sixth year delivering album number twenty three, it has given me a big smile on my face and whilst very sad that Dan has to vacate the microphone stand, he can leave feeling proud of this work. It is a very fitting testimony to one of Rock’s greats.

Keep on Nazing
Michael T

michaelt
Nazamataz
on: June 18, 2014, 17:23

With each playing it just gets better and better...

Dan's performance on Punch A Hole In The Sky is astounding...takes me back to No Mean City.
Can't stop playing Speakeasy, love Boom Bang Bang and Not Today is a fantastic sledgehammer of a track which is bang up to date with its delivery.
And Winter Sunshine...just lovely.

I can now say that the album can easily sit along side the albums we fans call "Naz at their best".

Congratulations to the band for delivering such a quality piece of work. And looking at the chart entries for the album, the world still loves Naz!

Keep on Nazing
Michael T

Ian
Nazaholic
Ian
on: June 18, 2014, 17:45

Michael, you still have time to climb aboard a jet plane and take in some shows in Beautiful BC ! :-) . Just sayin

Ron Lewis
Nazaholic
on: June 19, 2014, 00:20

Recieved RNRT today, I knew it was being delivered this morning, was worried sick all day at work, that the mailman was going to put it somewhere where the sun was going to beat down on it all day, you see its been around 93 in ohio .and it would be warped, but it was perfect.. ahhh thank god!! Just when you think , how can the Naz possibly deliver a better album than the previous one.. well its because they are an amazing band...The word incredible comes to mind. cant stop listening to it,35 years of listening to this band, and they truly just never.. and I mean never dissapoint ! Thanks.. Dan,Pete,Lee, Jimmy! for again delivering another killer album! you guyz are the best! now I think I will put on my headphones, and listen again, and again, and..Ron

That-
Family
Nazamataz
on: June 20, 2014, 02:48

Ron…. Ian…. Hey Ron….. Hey Ian….. RON….. IAN….. HEY RON…… HEY IAN….

RRRROOOOONNNNN……. IIIIIAAAAANNNNNN…….

Never mind. Is it just me or does anyone else hate it when people listen to their headphones too loud?? Must be a good recording.

NAZ ROCKS

richamanaz
on: June 20, 2014, 03:09

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on the forum. I have been visiting the Nazareth website for a long time, and reading a lot of the forum posts. I've been a big fan of Nazareth for a long time (since I was in high school)...a long time ago. I've seen Nazareth in concert 3 times, 1978,1979 and 1981. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to see them since then. I have almost all of their CD's (a couple of their original vinyl lp's), and most of their DVD concerts.
Anyway, enough of that. I just wanted to introduce myself. Now back on topic. I recently received my Rock n Roll Telephone CD, and was really impressed. I thought, as a complete album, it was musically better than The Newz and Big Dogz. I still wasn't impressed with the sound quality of the recording, but that's not on the band...that's a recording studio engineer thing. I was hoping that the drums would sound "bigger", and have more tone and "boom" to them. Lee is such a great drummer. A little more instrument "separation" would have helped too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love the album, and Nazareth will always be my favorite band (along with Aerosmith).
OK, I'm done rambling. I look forward to being a small part of the forum once in a while.
By the way, I noticed the other day that Ron (nazaholic) is from Ohio....So am I.
Everyone have a good day.
Rich.

Ron Lewis
Nazaholic
on: June 20, 2014, 03:39

Welcome To Nazland Rich! there are a few of us in Ohio!! Myself, Rick..That family! Bax.. dont know what happened to him. And Yes RRRRRRRick my ears are killing me!!LOL!! Man...Do I love this album!! Ron

That-
Family
Nazamataz
on: June 20, 2014, 11:22

Welcome Rich. Mike and Jill (Snaz1) are from Ohio as well.

Ian
Nazaholic
Ian
on: June 23, 2014, 22:38

Psst, Ron, what did THAT FAMILY GUY SAY ?

Ron Lewis
Nazaholic
on: June 24, 2014, 00:04

I just assumed that Nazareth wanted their fanz to listen to their music with headphones on..I mean its on their Hot Tracks album cover for gods sake!! I even listen to it so loud, I have streams of sweat running down my face just like the album cover!!Lol!! I still say thats supposed to be Dan on the cover, I dont care what anyone says! and you dont know this yet Ian...But Rick..That family guy and I are staying at your house, and going to see Nazareth with you, because they are not coming to the U.S.!! Lol... take care Ian...you are funny as hell!! I want to go to a Naz show with you!! that would be a blast!! Ron

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.173 seconds.