News
Recent Forum Posts
Future Gigs

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rock n Roll Telephone Review
Emil
Post Rock n Roll Telephone Review
on: August 18, 2014, 17:09

A band has it's ups and down. A band like Nazareth did record belters like Razamanaz and No Mean City and also had minor identity crises like The Catch. They never were dull though and now....45 years down the road....

Boom Bang Bang: Like the guitar-intro and the drum-package that it goes into. Sounds modern and stylish. Dans trademark vocals begins and it's top notch. Pretty good opener, think the chorus is the weakest part of the song but still a good opener.

One Set Of Bones: Really fat guitar - wall here, very meaty ;-) . Great vocals from Dan and verse is fantastic.. Sounds 70:s in style, a bit like "Watch Your Back" (Big Dogz) in style and feeling, guitar-wise, but could have been a track from 1976/1977 also.

Back 2B4: This is a summertime-hit. Feelgood - song and lovely / emotional chords in the bridge up to the chorus. This should be on all radio-shows and TV-appearances. Unfortunately it may not but in a perfect world...

Winter Sunlight: Really like this one too. Really really great. Dan and ballads is always a signum of great standards, so also here. Beautiful choirs, very 70:s in style and feeling. Jimmys Pink Floyd-ish guitars is fab too. Sounds fresh and same time very Naz mid 70:s with a great chorus.

Rock N Roll Telephone: the song is great!! bombastic in some kind of way, massive is another word. Love the lyrics!!! ( "...and my hair is all frizz..."..love it) This is humour on highest calibre and a reality I think for many that runs into that kind of situation ;-) . The song could be a BIT faster though (in my head) as the slowness and heaviness and bluesiness Can get slow-motion-vibes at times, but it's a matter of taste. A classic song whatsoever.

Punch A Hole In The Sky: I don't know why I feel the song sounds a bit muffled in the sound, but it's a fast one which I guess many Naz-heads have longed for. Dan's vocals could have been a bit higher in the mix (matter of taste) but this is something the band proves they can do with ease: fast ones! Also good with the variety on a record.

Long Long Time: A bit unusual in style for a Naz song but I like it! Relaxed and good atmosphere.

The Right Time: This is great. Get some American classic R´n´b vibes on this one and it suits Dan a lot. This is a song Australian rock-god Jimmy Barnes could have done justice to also, but there you go, the two best rock vocalists of all time :-) . Great!

Not Today: Heavy as hell! Very trustworthy vocals of Dan. Feels almost like the song is about him and his hell with COPD, but there you go (and what do I know). I think this is one of Dans best vocals on this cd but maybe also in his career.

Speakeasy: Good time party song, get minor vibes of guitar riff from AC/DC:s "Hell ain't a bad place to be" here.

God Of The Mountain: Pretty catchy, great vocals and a fine end of the album.

Bonus songs:

Just A Ride: It sounds more Black Sabbath than Nazareth but hell what a fine vocal/scream from Dan! This is No Mean City stuff and also here Top-stuff from Dan! Like the modern effects put into the song also. Almost Rammstein ;-) .

Wanna Feel Good: Ok! At first listening it felt more blaha than a real Naz song, but after several listenings now I really like this one too!

All in all a competent / classy album again from the biggest band from Scotland ever and songs bear Dan McCaffertys vocals still in prime condition and in most cases as good as when he was at his best!!! I think the songwriting is great and has developed during the last six years to higher quality, even though it has always been at least good ;-) , though the songs on RNRT feels more "direct" in style and very easy listening. Jimmys guitarwork is great on this one, Lees drumming too and Pete must get a mention for his brilliant bass-playing and backing vocals, so the rest of the guys.

8,5 out of 10

/Evil

michaelt
Nazamataz
Post Re: Rock n Roll Telephone Review
on: August 18, 2014, 20:52

Good to hear from you Emil.

I certainly concur with what you say...the more listened to, the better it gets. There are some very subtle Naz trademarks in certain songs. I am still hearing new stuff with every play.

It is an acknowledgement to the past with a firm foot in the present delivered with panache, confidence and that lovely Naz humour.

Keep on Nazing

Michael T

Ian
Nazaholic
Ian
Post Re: Rock n Roll Telephone Review
on: October 29, 2014, 19:01

Trademarks you say! Absolutely every track winds me in and out of the last 40 yrs :o there's a bit of Razamanaz,then a smidge of No Mean a whack of Snake "N" Ladders in a word TURRIFIC, brilliant swansong for Dan. :D

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.